For the last few weeks I have been learning more and more about WordPress theme development.
It’s a very well-documented area, but I thought I’d list some of the pages I’ve bookmarked in the process!
- It kind of goes without saying that the WordPress Codex is the go-to for every piece of functionality. The Template Hierarchy explanation is a great place to start
- Underscores.me, the most minimal starter theme I’ve come across
- WordPress Featured Images – add_image_size() resizing and cropping demo by Studiograsshopper, a great introduction on how to work with featured images in themes
- The Complete Guide To Custom Post Types by Daniel Pataki
- How to Create a Simple WordPress Widget by Jon Loomer
- One thing that took me the most time to find and something I couldn’t find much guidance for in the Codex was how to edit WordPress’s default output when using the native gallery shortcode (I didn’t like the default thumbnail layout, and the way the gallery images link to the attachment page), but I did eventually come across this question and this question on WordPress Answers, which finally solved my problem!
That’s all for now, but I might do another batch of these soon…